15 August 2007

Sweet Bread and Messes


So I tried out a recipe I've had bookmarked for quite a long time now. I've never made any kind of loaf or bread before, and I just got a burst of boredom-induced courage yesterday. Being stuck dog-sitting all morning does tend to do that to you, I find.

Oh man, Rusalka was terrible yesterday. So badly behaved for hours. Much like she's behaving this instant, actually. She woke me up at least 8 times last night, landing with all 36.2 pounds directly on my chest in an attempt to dive bomb my poor tabby cat. I don't know what shot the "must attack cat instead of sleep like normal" bug up her ass last night, but lets just say I'm not too pleased with her at 9 in the morning on little sleep. Especially when the reason I got little sleep is hers. Not to mention the huge gash in my arm by accidentally getting caught by Genghis' claw as I tried to break up the fight taking place on my chest.

Anyway, on to more plesant things, such as baking.

I found this recipe a long time ago through a series of links from one of the various blogs I happened to click on that night. Through an incredible stroke of luck, I found Everybody Likes Sandwiches and a great recipe for what she calls Maple Breakfast Cake.

It only took about 15 minutes to mix up, and that's including the time I spent trying to pry the box and the cap off of the Vanilla extract (it had apparently not been closed properly last time it was used, and it had spilled a little in the box, affixing the box and cap on there securely via a resin-like seal of vanilla extract).



I just had this inexplicable need to bake. However, we only had one stick of butter, our eggs had been thrown out the day previously thanks to the "use by" date, I couldn't find the electric mixer, and the dog I was supposed to be supervising was running wild through the house like she just ingested a couple kilos of crack.. Ripe conditions for baking, eh?

Lucky for me, once I started pulling things out of the cabnet and quietly cursing to myself as things fell on me, Rusalka seemed to become enthralled by what I was doing, and sat quietly in the middle of the kitchen watching me until I was finished. Figure that one out. She's totally out of control, and you pull out some flour and some baking powder, and she's immediatly quiet and attentive.

Anyway, so the recipe.


Maple Breakfast Cake

2 1/2 c flour
1/2 t baking soda
2 t baking powder
1 t salt
2 T butter, melted
3/4 c maple syrup
1 c milk
1/4 t vanilla
1/2 c walnuts

Mix together dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, except for the nuts. In a seperate bowl, mix together wet ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry, folding in the nuts after everything is mixed. Spread batter into a large loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool, and enjoy.

I didn't have any walnuts on hand, and I don't much like nuts in my baked goods anyway, so I skipped that step, and it still came out beautifully. Let me tell you, it was fantastic for breakfast this morning with some butter spread on it.

In other news, I do so love early in the morning... Sitting with my Maple Cake with butter underneath a light blanket, watching the History Channel on Demand. I suppose this would be quite nice come Christmas time. Except instead of History Channel on Demand, I'd be watching the snow fall out the window and crocheting, relishing the fact that I wasn't in the Pitts for a few weeks.

It's sad really, that school hasn't even started yet, and I'm already looking forward to break.

So anyway, my challenge for today is to pack and organize the things we bought for our apartment, that until now I've just sort of been throwing in my room haphazardly to get out of the way. However, I sort of want a room to chill in these last few days of vacation, so I need to clean that out and get some sort of order going. Also, I need to ball up some yarns I found stashed in order to add some color to my currently very bland yarn collection that will come with me to school.


-lc

No comments: