16 February 2008

Banana Muffin Heaven

I was bored the other day as I sat at my desk and procrastinated, carefully avoiding anything and everything that has to do with the Chinese Republican Revolution of 1911 or the implication of gender in Shakespeare's King Henry V. So, I set to work in my kitchen making...

Banana Muffins with a Crumbly Top!



What you need:
-Oven preheated to 375 degrees F
-Muffin tin with little paper muffin cups (or greased, but I like to conserve our butter and oil)
-Two mixing bowls
-1.5 cups of flour (I just use regular all-purpose, but I'm sure whole wheat or something would work too)
-3/4 cup of sugar
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-3 mashed bananas
-1 slightly beaten egg
-1/3 cup melted butter (I used oil instead because I was lazy)


And then, for the crumble topping:
-1/3 cup brown sugar (the packed kind)
-2 tbsp flour
-1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (I used a bunch more… I like cinnamon.)
-1 tbsp butter


Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. You'll be pouring the wet ingredients into this bowl, so make sure it's big enough (I didn't and ended up with an extra bowl to wash).

Then, beat together the bananas, sugar, egg, and oil (or butter) in a separate bowl. When a recipe says beat, I always think "electric mixer" but I was lazy and just used a whisk. It turned out fine, just took a little longer and a little more effort. That's okay though, my arms are out of shape anyway and can use the exercise.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, stirring only slightly, until the flour disappears. Don't over-stir. What this will do, I don't know, but every recipe I've ever read for banana bread, banana muffins, or anything similar warns against over-stirring at this point.

Transfer the delicious goop to the muffin tin. Be generous. These don't rise all that much, so don't be afraid to fill those little cups right to the top!

Now, the Crumbly Topping!

In a clean bowl (a cereal bowl works just fine) mix together everything but the butter. The recipe then says cut in the butter, but what I did was more like violent mashing with the blunt end of a fork. Anyway, when you're done cutting in the butter (or violently mashing in the butter), it should be grainy, like cornmeal apparently. Not ever having worked with cornmeal, I cannot vouch for the validity of this statement, but I trust the original recipe writer.

Sprinkle the crumbly topping over the muffin batter (be generous), pop the pan into your pre-heated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, and voila! Delicious muffin goodness.

The original recipe is from Allrecipes.com but I have since lost the original URL. I'm sure if you search "Banana Muffins Crumble" or something similar you can find it.



-l.c.

No comments: