05 January 2009

An FO and yet another scarf in progress...


Well, I finished my One Row Scarf. Well, I shouldn't say mine, since it is intended to be a post-Christmas gift for someone (I hope they like it!). It was a quick, easy knit. The repetitive nature of the pattern really had a wonderfully meditative quality to it, making it the perfect project to be working on as I cuddled on the couch in front of the Christmas tree and reflected on the season.

Not much else crafty happened after Christmas hit. The Athenian Scarf I had hoped to finish as a gift didn't end up happening. I did manage to finish the second polka dot stocking in time for it to be a gift, but silly me forgot to take photos before I gave it away. I did manage to figure out the toe, and when I make my third one of these, I'll take pictures as I piece so whoever else wants them can have a piecing reference.

As for the day after New Years, I decided that a fresh year demanded a fresh project, so I cast on the Feather and Fan Scarf. I think it's high time I broke free from the basic k2 p2 rib or other such variations of that. I think I'm getting good enough with those two sticks to try something a little more complicated than that. Though I know in my heart I'll always be a better crocheter than a knitter, I started out determined and with high hopes.

I had the greatest color of Paton's Divine stashed away, so I decided to use that, and I cast on 20 stitches on size 11 needles. Despite my new discovery of non-acrylic yarn, there are just some acrylics I'm always going to love (e.g. Vanna's Choice, and Caron Simply Soft...), and Paton's Divine is one of them. It's the only fuzzy mohair-esque yarn that does not make me itch like a dog with fleas, and the result is always so fluffy and soft. I thought it would be a great choice for this particular pattern, as it's not so fuzzy that the pattern won't be visible, but it's just fuzzy enough so that the lace pattern won't mean sacrificed warmth.

So far, I'm about a foot and a half into the scarf, and I'm quite pleased with how it's turning out. My yarn choice seems to be accomplishing exactly what I wanted it too, and I'm knitting up the lace pattern quickly and efficiently. It's a great pattern for a beginner knitter like me to cut their teeth on. I was also originally intending for this to be a post-Christmas gift, however, I think I'm loving it so much, I may have to just keep it for myself. It would be perfect for my next trip into NYC. And I have a great pair of flat booties to match too...


-l.c.

6 comments:

Megan said...

I love projects that make for good tv knitting. I have a blanket I'm working on for Project Linus that I keep for just such a purpose.
I love the color variation in the scarf.
Most things in knitting aren't as hard as you think they are going to be once you overcome the initial intimidation and just try it.
I think the Yarn Harlot said something like you should always keep the first thing you ever knit because one day when you're struggling with cables or double knitting or something complicated you can look at it and remember when garter stitch was a challenge.

adrienne said...

I love the One-Row scarf! It's such a great colourway. I'm sure the recipient will love it!

Timiae said...

I'm loving your feather and fan scarf... Feather and Fan (aka, Old Shale) is my alltime favorite scarf pattern.

Iron Needles said...

I loved knitting my one row scarf. I used some really ymmy yarn, and couldn't wait to finish it!

Thanks for your commiseration on my technology trials, too. But without computers...well, I would miss my bloggity friends now!

~ Phyllis ~ said...

I love your One Row Scarf. Thanks for linking to the pattern.

Katie said...

Great color! I love that!