08 March 2009

A little bit of progress... Just a little...


It's been an unproductive weekend, really. I've spent far too much time surfing political forums, both republican and democrat, for reasons I still can't figure out. This was atypical behavior to me, as I'm not necessarily interested in politics enough to go seeking out online forums. I can have a political debate in real life anytime I want to as a History major, so I tend to prefer using my online time to get a break from it all and talk about knitting or crochet. During this little online adventure of mine, I saw a lot of things that got me sitting around and thinking. My conclusion? We can be really nasty to each other, over really stupid shit, and it's disheartening.

I just don't understand why we feel the need to pick each other apart personally and shut each other out/write each other off simply because we have differing political views. This personal attack crap (and it happens on both sides of the fence, or so I've seen during my reading this weekend) is just ridiculous to me. Why in the world can't we just be respectful to each other? Sure, we disagree on some things, but so what? Just because someone holds a differing view doesn't mean they're the incarnation of Satan... This tendency to view the other side as "the enemy" just baffles me. Aren't we all Americans? Aren't we all fellow human beings? Anyway, I should step off my soap box before I bore you all.


So, in addition to spending way too much online (and not even on ravelry, oddly enough), I spent the majority of the rest of my weekend laid up in bed with a terrible migraine. As a result, not much crochet or knitting got done. I did manage to score some great thrift finds this week though, so that's something. I grabbed them at a library sale on my campus, all for about $3.50. The Kathy Reichs books were additionally exciting because I've been meaning to read them since I became a fan of the TV show Bones (which is loosely based, not on the books, but on the author herself). I'm currently half way through Deja Dead (the first in the series), and so far it's very good. Her writing is a bit formulaic and dry, but it works considering the subject matter and the character. I guess a better word for her writing style would be scientific. Dry as it may be, it's certainly not boring. I was hooked immediately, and continue to be interested. I'll let you know when I finish what my final opinion is!


Also on the thrifting scene, I had my first really exciting find in an actual thrift shop on Friday morning. I stopped by the local Salvation Army store to drop some things off (mostly clothes that don't fit me anymore, a couple of books from my pre-teenaged Caroline B. Cooney phase... you know, those Girl on the Milk Carton books?) and I decided to go in and take a look around. Well, lo and behold, I found a pair of Limited Dress capris (for the spring) in my size for $4. I was thrilled, especially since Limited dress pants seem to be the only brand that fit me right, but normally they're like, $50 a pop. Which is more than I can afford on my grad student budget. I was excited, so I wanted to share that with you guys, picture or no.


I did get some crocheting done. I finished up a few more squares, bringing the total square count up to 14. Thank you guys all so much for all the compliments on my squares. Hopefully you guys will end up liking the finished product just as much! I've finally decided how big this baby's going end up. I think what I'm going to do, is make 5 columns of seven squares each, and then add on a pure white border in the same granny square fashion for about six inches on all sides. So the finished afghan is going to be 6' x 8', which will be plenty to cover my bed, and also plenty to snuggle up in next winter (I think by the time I finish this up, it will be time to drag out the shorts and tank tops). All I need to do now besides actually finishing the crochet, is to figure out how in the world to photograph this so the colors come out right! Either the purple ends up looking blue, or it looks purple (as above), but super dull... I don't quite know how to fix this issue.

Anyway, back on the knitting front I cast on another Calorimetry, this time in "Kelly Green." I've made some preliminary plans to drive into Scranton this weekend for their St. Patty's Day parade, so I've got to have some Irish-ed up winter wear for the occasion. They're actually home to the 4th largest St. Patty's Day Parade in the nation (or so I'm told), so if I do end up going, it should be a good time. In all I hope to have a Calorimetry, a scarf with Crocheted Shamrocks on it, and some fingerless (to make sure I don't loose my grip on my Guinness!) gloves with shamrocks on the top of the hand (if I can figure out how to knit in color work within the week).


Here's to a more successful week than last!

-l.c.

9 comments:

adrienne said...

Yup, sometimes people on the internet really suck. I mostly avoid places with heated discussions, but you can't always help it.

Your plans for St. Patrick's Day sound like lots of fun! I've always just tormented my brother by baking him green birthday cake :)

(and your dog, so cute!!!)

lara griffiths said...

politically i agree... (think happy knitting thoughts).....

oh a st. patrick's day parade.... oh how i miss the east coast. (except the extreme cold) enjoy it!

Iron Needles said...

My total and heartfelt sympathy with the migraine. My total and heartfelt excitement over the book score and the thrifty find.

Sometimes I just need to break out of my internet routine, and click some different keys...and that's all it is!

River Glorious said...

Nice nice squares. Very nice. Good stitches.

zcrescendo said...

Hope your head is feeling better - partisan politics can give anybody a migraine. If you're looking for a good source for political news, I recommend realclearpolitics.com and realclearworld.com which have worldwide editorials from many different perspectives.

I've heard similar things about the Scranton parade from friends of mine who go to school there. It sounds like a blast - too bad I'm so far away.

passionknitone said...

Shamrocks on your Calorimetry - how wonderful! Please post pics.

Amanda said...

Those crochet squares look fabulous.

Jennifer said...

I LOVE your photos.... :-)

Lupie said...

I made two Calorimetrys and am sure I will make another. Fun to knit and wear!