04 March 2009

Of Granny Squares and Decorating...


Crochet is a strange animal. Ever since I started to do it, it's been a binging activity, like eating or drinking, only without the whole "hugely negative heath effects and possible liver shutdown" thing. Every once and a while, the crochet bug crawls up my ass. When that happens, for days, every free moment is spent furiously scratching away with the hook until my hands feel like they're going to fall off and my eyes feel dry and shriveled (usually around day six or seven).


Well, the crochet bug bit me on Sunday. After doing so much knitting for the last few, well months…, finally getting that Calorimetry off the needles on Saturday, I wanted a change. Plus, I had a metric shit ton of Supersaver lying around from my learnin' days. Now, a ton of people hate Supersaver, I know. I myself don't mind it so much. It's actually my yarn of choice for throws and blankets, due to the amazing washability and the fact that it wears like steel (a huge speedball of a dog who seems very fond of playing in the mud means all blankets and throws end up in the washer far more frequently than in other houses). Also, I find it actually softens up rather nicely after a few runs through the washer and dryer. Great for a couch throw, or a blanket to throw over your regular quilt in the winter.


In addition to the abundance of supersaver, right now I have a decorating dichotomy going on in my room, and it's really been making my life complicated in that very special and annoying way rooms can when you're unhappy with them. In high school, I redid my room, changing it from the flowery pink of my childhood to a more refined and classy (or so I thought at the time, anyway) scheme of muted purples. That was great for a while. THEN, I went to college, where my roommate had a very bright and boppy style, both in her personality and in her decorating sense, with her color of choice being bright pink (you can see the contrast in the two styles via our carpets: My room and our huge area rug from college which I miss terribly). I took to the whole bright thing immediately, finding it really cheers up a room, even during the dreariest Pittsburgh winters.

So, fast forward through three years of undergrad with the same roommate, and I'm back at home in my "refined" muted purple room, with a very different sense of style and taste. Plus, I've got all sorts of crap that we bought for college lying around, totally not jiving with the state my room is currently in, but matching my taste much more. So, I figured out on Sunday, that one big piece is all that's really needed to tie it all together: a new blanket. My comforter, though still perfect as far as keeping me warm at night, has become less than pleasing to the eye after years of use and teen aged acne medication bleaching. So, if I could create a blanket to cover it, incorporating the purple, and the bright colors I became so fond of in college, then the whole room would stop visually warring with itself, and finally make sense again.


When, Sunday afternoon, we were hit with a large snowstorm and my orchestra rehearsal got cancelled, I saw the opportunity right away, dug all the supersaver out from it's box in the basement, and got to work. It was originally going to be a totally random, eclectic granny square blanket, using every color I had (all brights, anyway,), framed by white. Ever since Alicia Paulson of Posie Gets Cozy posted about her granny square blanket, I have loved and envied the idea, so I planned to use her blanket as my inspiration.


Well, I got through one square and quickly realized that I was only going to use three colors: Spring Green, Amethyst, and White. They turned out to go together beautifully, and it would still accomplish my main goal of tying together my room, as most of my stuff from college tended to be that bright color of green. So, what turned into a stash busting project quickly had me out shopping for more Supersaver. But that's okay. I've still got the Flower Hexagon Afghan in progress, and I finally picked up more yellow yarn for the centers, so that'll use up all the rest.


Since Sunday, I've been crocheting like a madwoman. I even postponed updating here in lieu of making more squares. They're addictive, and it's so much fun to watch them come together. I've been using the TV to determine my color changes so they stay fairly random (I've been assigning characters to colors, and when I finish a round, what character is on TV at that moment dictates what color the next round is going to be). I've got ten squares done, the count of which is bound to be more after tonight. My hope is that I can get all the squares finished before this little crochet binge runs its course, and I'll leave seaming and the edging for the next binge.

-l.c.

8 comments:

Lupie said...

Thank you for giving teh Granny Square the honor it should have with you beautiful pictures!

Beverly said...

Purple and green are one of my favorite color combos. Your squares look beautiful!

lara griffiths said...

wow. ok first of all great color choices. second.. heck i had my room in all orange~ nothing could be that bad. and third i am feeling sorry for my cold east coast friends. it is times like this that i dont really miss it... there are only so may late winter snow storms before the snow blower gets a new name... (and not a nice one i might add).

adrienne said...

Oh cute! I wish I were better at crochet, I love granny squares!

DrChopSuey said...

I don't blame you on the Supersaver, I use it for random things all the time. :) I LOVE the colors and your squares are beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished project!

Iron Needles said...

Like lilacs in the spring! Have fun with all that seaming...

Timiae said...

Love Love Love the squares! It's going to be a beautiful blanket. I am finishing up my friendship afghan (10 rounds of swapping 6 squares so your blanket if made up of squares from all over the world) and am planning my nextone (made just by me). Thanks for the the inspiration and giving me the kick in the booty to actually start the thing!

Sarah said...

Such beautiful Granny Squares! I can't make them to save my life- I'm so envious. The colors are so cool!