20 April 2009

The very first Musical Monday...

Silly me, I left my camera at my grandmother's house on Sunday after our Orthodox Easter festivities. So, I figure this is a great opportunity to start something I've been thinking about for a while, which is Musical Mondays (a.k.a. Music to Knit To).

As someone who is heavily involved in music in many different ways, there's a lot of music out there that I feel is sadly neglected. So my plan is that every Monday, I'm going to post a Youtube video (or other thing) of a work or a piece that I think is super cool, and that I would like to share with everyone. I know that classical music is not every one's favorite cup o' tea, but give it a listen. I promise to keep it interesting! =D

We'll inaugurate this series with something that's not only fun (and impressive) to listen to, but also fun to watch: Les oiseaux dans la charmille (popularly known as the Doll Song), from the opera Les contes d'Hoffmann (eng. Tales of Hoffmann). The story behind the opera is complicated and ridiculous in a way only opera can accomplish, but basically, this is an aria sung by a life-size wind-up doll who is being passed off as this one dude's daughter and is supposed to be the perfect woman.

The performer is one of the most amazing Coloratura (meaning super high, super flexible ranged) sopranos I've ever heard, Sumi Jo.

Enjoy! =D



-l.c.

9 comments:

imperfectepoch said...

Great performance, great voice.

zcrescendo said...

Nice idea and nice selection!

adrienne said...

What a cool idea! I enjoyed that song! In my (so very limited) experience, I tend to prefer men singing opera, but that was really great.

Tekgirl said...

Thanks- I really enjoyed that clip. More please :)

Roe said...

Lovely!

BTW, I agree - Blade Runner was more enjoyable as a film, but I do like having the full picture now that I've read Androids. :)

Have you read A Canticle for Leibowitz? I'm starting it next!

lara griffiths said...

oh i love this idea!

DrChopSuey said...

Love the idea and love the inaugural choice! I look foward to seeing more!

laughingmuse said...

That was wonderful! More, please!

petrina said...

i love sumi! thanks for uploading the vid!