24 May 2009

The Triumphant (pending the release of grades) Return...


Well, I'm back! Two tumultuous weeks of finals and concerts are OVER. And as a cap to that stressful mess, my birthday was yesterday! It was a fantastic day, and I got tons of great presents, which was awesome, because I wasn't expecting anything. My parents told me weeks ago that they were going to pay a quarter's worth of interest on my student loans as my birthday gift, which frankly was an amazing gift. My parents had helped me out through my undergrad by paying the interest on my loans so it didn't go accruing on me, but now that I'm working, and my brother's in the process of taking out loans (and a LOT of them), they've got to help him out in the same way, and the interest is up to me now. So that was an amazing, unexpected and generous gift. After that I didn't expect to get anything else. But low and behold, this amazing INC dress appeared, along with some beautiful flowers! (the full dress can be seen under this cardigan.)


And from my brother, an amazing painting, that he did himself in his art class, with a stress on purples and greens so it matches my room (once I get my bedspread done!). Dude's got talent with paint that I never had... a much better eye for color and blending. I do better with black and white mediums like Charcoal.


So with that, I'm done. It is just about officially summer. I'm still working as a substitute teacher during the day, but I'm really enjoying that, so I don't really count it. My concerts are over, my classes are over. My multiple papers are finished and handed in.


My kitchen table for weeks before was cluttered with these books, all scholarly and official looking. Finally they've been returned, and we have our table and my sanity back. That stack of books have now been replaced with my summer reading list.


These are just some of the books on the docket for the coming weeks. They include the next few Kathy Reichs books, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson (a re-read for me), a few Laurie Notaro books (very funny stuff), The Good Book by David Plotz, The Birth of Britain by Winston Churchill, The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama, and The Inner Voice by Renee Fleming. If anyone has any book suggestions, I'm open to them! I'll read pretty much anything except for self-help books, American History (reminds me too much of school for a summer reading list), and really technical economic books (again, just not fun reading for me).

It's such a relief to me to finally be able to read for enjoyment instead of requirement. All I need now is to set up the Hammocks, and the summer will be set. Actually, I'm already done with one of the books, The Princess Bride. I'm part of a read-knit along on the As You Wish group on Ravelry, and I was massively behind on getting it done. To sum it up, the book was FANTASTIC. It is definitely one of my new favorite books and I highly recommend it. It's a brilliant satire, and an amazing adventure story, all rolled into one. It's just like the movie, and in fact, in many ways, better.


So now that I've got my summer reading all set, my school year over with, and my concert season in the past, all that's left is catching up with my online stuff. Hopefully tomorrow morning I'll be able to catch up with all my favorite blogs that have been sitting sadly neglected in my RSS feeder. I will not be posting a Musical Monday tomorrow. They will resume next week, but even so, expect to see more activity here at Lunaticraft. Hey, maybe I'll even finish that sock!

-l.c.

11 comments:

Timiae said...

Yay for you! I'm really enjoying my pleasure reading (which was almost non-existent from fall 2004 to this past month). I'll have to look into getting The Princess Bride... great movie and I'm sure it's a better book.

Hissy Stitch said...

Yay for summer! Yay for summer reading!

adrienne said...

It must feel so great to have all that stuff over with! And happy birthday! It sounds like it was a great weekend for you :)

Amanda said...

Well done. You deserve some good relaxing time. Have fun reading - and knitting of course!

Megan said...

I'm so happy for you, that all your work is behind you.

Happy Birthday!

Looks like you've got a nice relaxing summer all planned. Hopefully you've got some summer knitting lined up too.

Iron Needles said...

Happy birthday to you! And the Princess Bride has been one of my favorite books since high school, before it was even cool.

Inconcievable!

And congrats on finishing up the year, too.

I really enjoy Barbara Kingsolver's books.

lara griffiths said...

happy birthday and fab dress girl!

Jo said...

Glad you can finally relax. Enjoy your summer reading!

Lupie said...

Hope you had a great Birthday!!!
Love the dress now you must start a beautiful cardigan to go with it.
Enjoy your time off. Knit and read on!

zcrescendo said...

Hmm. Well, I'd really recommend "Pillars of Salt" by Fadia Faqir, one of the books we read in my lit class last semester and honestly one of the most emotional books I've ever read. It's got a captivating plot while shedding light on the situation of women in Arab society. Not sure if you'd be at all interested in that, but I'd be glad to loan it to you if you are.

DrChopSuey said...

Yay! Summer has now started! BTW -- it looks like your whole family is talented... beautiful painting! And... HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)