22 June 2009

Musical Monday: The Comedy Edition

Today, for our Musical Monday (aka Music to Knit By) selection, I've changed gears completely. About every six months or so, I rediscover our Monty Python Sings! CD, and as a result rediscover the genius of this song, on so many levels. It has been made even better for me now that I'm working on my Masters with a focus right around this period in British History, and its historical accuracy in the information is actually kind of stunning.

I don't feel there is any way I can properly introduce this song, So I'm just going to let it speak for itself, sharing only the fact that the first time I heard this song I spent at least 10 minutes afterwards trying to catch my breath (Ironically, we started studying these events the next day in school. That was a difficult class for me to get through). It's just so funny, on so many levels.

So, without further muss or fuss, I present to you the Musical Monday for 22 June, 2009: Oliver Cromwell brought to you by the genius that is Monty Python.

7 comments:

zcrescendo said...

Ahhh! That made my day! That's the first time I've heard that, but I'll never think of old Oliver the same way again (nor forget the years of his life). Please promise me that when you do teach British history in some prestigious university that you'll use that when you get to the Civil War.

"Stupid git!"

Mountain Mama said...

It's so nice to leave a blog feeling more cultured.

I must find a place to apply this newfound knowledge. Possibly as a threat to my 49" and 40" children who bick like a bunch of Brittish aristocracy.

lizzzknits said...

Thanks for posting this....my daughters love Karaoke, so I have challenged them with this!!!

I have borrowed this for my facebook page, with Monty's permission!

Amanda said...

Thank you! You made my day.

DrChopSuey said...

:) love it!

lara griffiths said...

thanks this is great!

Lupie said...

I will tell my last born to check this post she is a Monty Python NUT!