10 June 2009

(Not Quite) Wordless Wednesday

Well, lets take a photo tour of what I've been up to...

A few days ago, my friends and I attended a Yankee's Farm Team game (The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Yankees), which was a lot of fun. It was girl scout night, and we had a row of little girls in front of us. When we started harmonizing the Star Spangled Banner with our band parts (because we're super-nerds like that), the chickadees' heads all whipped around with expressions that ranged from interested to terrified. It only worsened when we broke into Holst's March from the Second Suite later on.


To make it an even more fun night, it was fireworks night.


And boy, what a show it was.


Then, later in the weekend, my mom, my brother, and I met a whole bunch of friends in NYC to go see a small indie show that a family aquaintance had written, which will not be discussed here, because it's offensive (but freaking halarious) stuff.

Can I just share with you how much I loathe the GW Bridge? Terrifying. Only thing more terrifying might be the Tappinsee Bridge up in Piermont.


One discovery while I was up in the city was that they've closed off Broadway in the blocks going through Times Square for the summer. Totally f-ed up the traffic patterns in the city. And even worse, they're considering making it permanent.


Speaking of Piermont, we went a bit out of our way and took a quick stop off there on our way home. It's such a beautiful little town, with great food, great views, and some AMAZING houses.


The day couldn't have been a better day for being waterside, either. Warm, with a cool damp breeze coming in off the Hudson, which was gently flowing framed by a stunning blue sky.


There's a cute little shopping/resturaunt center, this is almost painfully picturesque, and we spent some time walking around that square, sitting in the gazebo, reading in the sun a bit, in addition to trying to figure out what the big metal thing was. There was no plaque to be found, but my guess says its machinery from some famous boat. Or from inside the Industrial Revolution-era riverside factory that was the basis for originally settling Piermont. I spent a lot of time making up a history for this metal thing.


Other than those two brief little mini-trips, I've been working, and reading, and working, and reading.

Oh, and sleeping. A lot.

I hadn't realized how drained I had been from finals and concert season until I suddenly had free time. But even so, I managed to get through about 7 more Kathy Reichs novels. I'm not going to do full reviews for them, so I will leave you today with a quick assessment of each:

Death Du Jour: A-. It had the same wrap-up problems as her first book. Seems to be her style. Was helped by the fact that cults are freaking scary.

Deadly Decisions: C-. I really did not enjoy this book. It was dry, boring, and was not paced as well as the others. Plus, bikers really aren't my thing. Unless they're really hot. Which, from what I've seen, is usually (and sadly), not the case.

Fatal Voyage: A+. Terrifying. Plane Crashes often are. Written well, and paced perfectly.

Grave Secrets: B+. Not my favorite, so far, but still awesome. Again, quick wrap-up.

Bare Bones: B+. Fascinating topic. However, the ending came too much from left field for me to really feel satisfied with the conclusion.

Monday Mourning: A. Has it all. Great plot, mob ties, and an crochety old landlord with a shriveled set of man-bits.

Cross Bones: A+. Best one yet. But I'm a sucker for bible intrege, and archological scandal.

Break No Bones: I'm only half way through right now, but I'm liking it so far!



-l.c.

P.S. - Check it out. This is an AWESOME idea, brought to my attention by the awesome blog, Dr.Chop Suey Knits..... THE 3/50 PROJECT.

P.S.S. - I just switched browsers from IE (which I hate) to Safari (which I love). Sadly, the blogger spell check doesn't seem to want to work in Safari, so pardon my misspellings until I have the energy to copy/paste into word to fix them without losing my html and formatting.

6 comments:

zcrescendo said...

It looks to me like that big metal thing also could be part of a train, which would make sense since trains were important to Piermont back in the day, I believe. Factory machinery or ship parts would definitely make sense, too. Maybe there's no plaque because they've forgotten by now what the hell it used to be.

Iron Needles said...

ach. To be able to harmonize...or to carry a tune...

Welcome back! You've been missed.

lizzzknits said...

I so wanted to be in NYC this week, but alas, I was not. Thanks for taking me there by blog!

Megan said...

Ooo! I love fireworks. I hope to see some at the Strawberry Festival next weekend! Looks like you've been enjoying yourself.

And as for frightening bridges (you see a lot of them when you live on Long Island, it's like the ultimate "dead end" you have to cross a bridge to go anywhere) I have to vote for the Delaware Memorial Bridge. It is quite an incline. I have to pull over and give myself a pep talk first!

Sara said...

Great pictures! Sounds like a wonderful trip. That is a lot of books.

DrChopSuey said...

It looks like you had a great trip, thank you for sharing it! It gave me a mini-vaca here at work :)

And thank you for the shout out! :)