13 October 2009

Octo-beer.

The onset of October always starts that inevitable swing down to the holidays that I so love. Some of my favorite things come about in October. Halloween... Weather cool enough to require gloves when playing Frisbee with the pups so I don't get doggie spit all over my hands... Sinus Infection season... Err, wait. That one's not so fun. But, pumpkin lattes are! As are pumpkin pies... Pumpkin carving... Pumpkin everything, really... Blanket weather... Chestnuts... The turning of the leaves...

And of course...


OKTOBERFEST!!!

Now, I'm not a big drinker. Never have been. I'm one of those people who really didn't start imbibing until I was actually legal, and even now that I am, I don't drink often, and I don't drink much. Being buzzed or drunk is simply not a feeling that I enjoy. I like control too much, I think.

But that's not to say I don't enjoy a good beer now and again, and Oktoberfest is the perfect opportunity to try some new ones.


My favorite so far this Oktoberfest season has been the Spaten Oktoberfest brew, although nothing has yet come close to replacing Guinness as my all time favorite beer. But, even so, there have been a lot of good times with friends, with more to come in the next two weeks.

Sadly, all this social activity (compounded by the chronic sinus infections that hit me every change of season) means I have not finished my swallowtail shawl yet. The only things I've finished in the last week or so have been a number of pints, and a lot of homework. I have made some progress though, finishing the budding lace repeats, but it's going to be a little while yet before I can cast off and start blocking. I've also gotten distracted by a number of other projects, namely a lace scarf and some more matryoshki designs for a super special Christmas project.

But for now, I'm not going to worry about it. I'm just going to enjoy October for what it is, because once November hits, it'll be time to buckle in on my various papers. And then, before you know it it'll be Finals time, and then the holidays. So I'm going to have a pint here, do some knitting there...


While I still have the time to do it!

-l.c.

9 comments:

lizzzknits said...

Love the fall photo. Here in Colorado, the Falls cannot compare! I grew up in CT and miss it at this time of year especially.

Thanks for the nice comments on my blog!

adrienne said...

Love the pictures! And yes, I've decided that it's silly to stress over knitting. Things will get done when they get done. And that works for me! Enjoy October :)

Amanda said...

Love those autumn colours. October is my favourite month because of all the spring flowers!

DrChopSuey said...

Beautiful pictures! And enjoy your time, no stressing! It is a fun time of the year and enjoy it!

zcrescendo said...

Ditto on Spaten; it's good stuff. Awesome fall foliage photo!

(By the way, I think I recognize one of the hands in your beer picture. Haha.)

Kathy N said...

When I lived in San Antonio Texas, I would go to the New Braunfels Oktoberfest. Fun times.

Hope your sinus infections are minimal this fall - daughter and I are suffering right now.

petrina said...

ooh how I wish for autumn here too... its just begining to get really hot!!

Abbey said...

We have fall happening here in the mountains of Northern New Mexico too!! And I love it!! I pulled out my bins of knitted wool clothing that I've been missing all summer. So here, "CHEERS" to a beautiful fall, and time before finals!!

lara griffiths said...

i envy your fall, not your sinus infection but a nice seasonal beer in foliage country is a dream!