16 November 2009

Busy as a Bee on this Musical Monday


I've finished the Collared One Button Scarf! Well, almost. I still have to find a button that's perfect for it, and weave in the ends. But other than that I'm totally done, and I love it.

The pattern itself was a very quick and easy knit, great for when you've got to multi-task, and the result is super cute. I suspect that in the future this will be getting as much use as my calorimetry pattern. I'll just have to stock up on big buttons.


I did have to do a quick steam blocking of it to even it out, as my gauge changed not only from my swatch but as I knit. Changing gauge as a project progresses seems to be a common problem of mine, and I'm not sure what to do about it. So far it hasn't caused any real issues, because a) I don't really do big projects yet, so no sweater sizes to mess up or anything, and b) it's usually fixed by blocking it out. However, whenever I do decide to tackle my first sweater, I hope I will have conquered that particular issue.

Just as I finished up the Collared One Button, I realized my Dad's birthday was coming up. Well, actually technically it's today. So, on Saturday I stopped by SYS and grabbed myself some chunky Debbie Bliss Donegal Tweed and cast on for the Irish Hiking Scarf. It's my first project cabling, and frankly, cables are SO MUCH EASIER than I thought they'd be. Like SO MUCH EASIER. Even so, it's been slower going than I anticipated, so it is not finished to give him today. I have about three feet done as of writing this post, and I have class and rehearsal later, so I've given up hope of it being finished by the end of his birthday at midnight. I tend to follow the scarf rule of "as long as the intended recipient is tall," (although that might just be a rule I made up, as I don't know where I got it from), and my dad is a little over 6 foot, so I'm hoping the finished length will end up being about five and a half to six feet. I think I bought enough yarn for that, but we'll see.



Other than that, it's been a crazy week in concerns to school work, and it's only about to get crazier. The library is going to be seeing a lot of me until the end of the semester, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I like our library quite a bit, actually. It's cozy. Anyway, I'll keep ya'll updated on the lead up to Thanksgiving and Christmas in the meantime.

For now though, it's Monday. And that means... Music to Knit By Day! I've missed doing these, and am determined to be better at remembering to post on Mondays. I've actually got all of December planned up already (HOORAY CHRISTMAS MUSIC!). But for now, I'm going to leave you with some Coloratura soprano awesomeness.

Everyone knows the Queen of the Night's aria in Die Zauberflöte (The Magic Flute), Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen (and if the German's not ringing a bell, Youtube it. I promise you'll recognize it). However, the character's other aria, O zitt're nicht...Zum Leiden bin ich auserkoren is not nearly as well known. The last minute or so of the aria is probably one of the most difficult passages out there ever written for soprano. So, what I leave you with today is actually a compliation of multiple versions of that last section by some of the greatest Coloraturas of the recording era, for comparison purposes. It is MINDBLOWING. Actually, more like BEYOND MINDBLOWING. Especially if you know anything about vocal technique and exactly how much control and supreme awesomeness this requires to pull off. (Also, I'll attach a recording of the full aria as well, in case anyone is interested in the, well, less showstopping part.)





Enjoy, and have a fantastic Musical Monday!

-l.c.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

The scarves look good - as do your cables. I always find that finding the right button is the hardest part.

petrina said...

can't wait to see you irish hiking scarf -i'm terrible with cables lol

Iron Needles said...

Is that your pattern for the 'collared one buttoned scarf'? Looks intriguing, and I might want to try it. I knit up a 'bowtie', but don't like the looks and made a poor choice of yarn, too. I think this fold over thing has potential!

Abbey said...

great job!! I'm so glad you're back to your Musical Mondays. They're so neat. I have a question...how long have you been knitting now? Changing gauges in the middle of a project usually has to do with mood, like how tense you feel at the time. Good luck with finding the button!!!

DrChopSuey said...

My first cable pattern was the irish hiking scarf as well... It is a great one to start with. It is looking lovely!

And thank you for yet another beautiful Musical Monday. Another lovely piece you have shared with us!