02 March 2010

Takataka, doo doo doo, doo doo doo tookatoo, Doo doo doo, doo doo doo...

I did it! Cue John Williams!



I crossed the Ravelympics finish line, just as the closing ceremonies were coming to a close with their dancing mounties and their giant inflatable beavers, and the ever so charmingly talented Michael Buble (because it took a Canadian to bring back the Great American Songbook).

And so, I have medaled. I competed in Short-track Shawls, and also I'm still waiting to see if I medaled on the Scarf Super-G (with the same project).


Unfortunately of the two teams I was on, I only medaled for Team Squint Squad (the Bones Fans Group Team). The Traveling Woman I was working on for Team Oooh, Shiney... (the CPAAGG team) ended up totally FUBAR, and I'm going to have to spend the next spurt of free time I have tinking back to see what happened. There wouldn't have been enough time for me to finish both anyway. So I am content with finishing one, my Saroyan in Cascade Pastaza, photos of which you see below.


The reason I found knitting time so suddenly precious over the past week or so is that I ended up drafted to play trumpet in a jazz band. That's right, trumpet. An instrument with which my relationship has consisted of nothing more than yelling obscenities at (not to mention at my brother, the person behind the mouthpiece) for the past, oh, eight years or so.


Now, I do play french horn. I am adequate at it. I get by in a symphonic band fairly well, sometimes even well enough to play first. I also do a bang up job at the "pah-pah"s to the tuba's "Oom" in the German Ooompah band I am a part of. However, it's not like I'm going to run around doing anything like this:



So while I know the general basics of brass playing, the trumpet is an entirely different animal. The trumpet was the instrument invented to lay waste to the rest of the orchestra/band like no other instrument can. Between that fact and the fact that there was constant noise production coming from one in my house from the day my brother picked one up to the day he went to college (for trumpet... major conservatory at least, so all the noise did get him somewhere), I've always been a bit resentful of the trumpet. So I went into it pretty nervous. After all learning to play a new instrument is always difficult, even if the fundamentals are sort of there.

When I told my brother, I got a hearty guffaw, directions to dig out his old beginner trumpet (which had been my mom's methods trumpet back when she was getting her music ed degree in the late 70s), and a skeptical "you'll be fine." So I dug out the tarnished horn, printed out a fingering chart and gave it a shot. With all the baggage I carry concerning that jumble of brass tubes and valve, I was going to do it, but I wasn't going to like it.

However. We had our first rehearsal yesterday... and... and...

I liked it. A lot. Like, a lot a lot.

Just don't tell my brother.

-l.c.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Wow, that's gorgeous! I LOVE the color. I've been thinking of using the Cascade pastaza for a jared flood blanket for my in-laws. Looks like it knits up beautifully. :)

Iron Needles said...

Congrats on finishing. And I am in awe of you being able to pick up an instrument and playing successfully. You people with your musical talent!

Abbey said...

What a wonderful post! I love your story!! Good luck with the horn...we won't tell a soul, lol!! The knitting is beautiful!!

DrChopSuey said...

Beautiful little knitted piece! The color is very pretty. And I am so jealous of your musical talent! You can truly do anything! I am in awe!