15 June 2011

First Shawl = Complete.


Well, I finally did it. I have officially finished my very first shawl.

Well... I finally did it months ago. I only just got around to photographing it. And even now I couldn't be bothered to drag out my real camera and fell back on the toy camera app on my phone. Bad photo-blogger, no biscuit.

But regardless of the delay and the half-ass photography (although I do like the look of them), my Traveling Woman is now done, blocked, and has been worn countless times. It's a bit small, so it makes a better scarf than a shawl, but I'm perfectly happy with that. I don't think I'm fashionable enough just yet to be able to pull off a traditional shawl without looking dowdy. A few more paycheck shopping events and I might be though. =)

But for now, I'm quite proud of myself, and though the yarn is not as soft and squishy as I would like (the hazards of using mystery yarn), I enjoyed wearing it for the last few months of winter. I've gotten many compliments on it, and it continues to come in handy, small though it is, on the days I go into the office and the air conditioning is pumping too hard.

So what's the verdict?

Well, I guess it's that I like shawl knitting and they'll probably be making an appearance on my needles once or twice a year from now on. I do think I'll be sticking to smaller shawls for now, as my attention span tends to wander (particularly as my semesters get busy), but I enjoy them while I can focus. I will have to figure out ways to integrate them into my regular winter attire in different ways, but once that's done, I'm sure I'll only be wanting more.


-l.c.

4 comments:

zcrescendo said...

Snazzy! Awesome choice of colors.

Amanda said...

Hooray! Looks great and I hope it is the first of many shawls.

Lupie said...

So beautiful! I hope some day to make a shawl but I'm not very good with lace.

DrChopSuey said...

Very pretty! Hurray for first shawl... don't you just love the Traveling Woman pattern? You look like a pro lace knitter!