12 July 2011

Adjustment Issues


I'm going to come right out and say it... I'm having trouble adjusting to summer. The time, the complete and utter lack of any sort of finite schedule, the, well... freedom of it all has made me nervous.


I've been trying to relax. Trying to keep that little monkey in brain that keeps screaming "YOU'RE FORGETTING SOMETHING!" at bay. Remind myself that I worked my ass off this year, it's okay to really relax, that it shouldn't feel unnatural.


Some knitting in the hammock has helped a bit... it at least keeps my hands and mind busy. I've started knitting a Leisel out of the Elsebeth Lavold Silky Tweed... a yarn I can tell you right now I wish I had bought way more of before it went off the market. I love it. It is soft, knits up warm, and has that delightful tweedy look that I so love.

So far, so good. It took me a few tries to get started however, as my printer was running out of ink when I printed the pattern. As a result, the shaded block in the chart that means "no stitch" looked just like another knit stitch. There was much grinding and gnashing of teeth when least three times, I started off, got to row three, and got really confused when I reached the end of the stitches before I was supposed to.

What could I be doing wrong?!

Well, silly me. It took me three full frogs and another false start later to even think of taking a second look at the PDF version. And there it was, clear as day. "NO STITCH."

Duh.

Well, that flub behind me, I'm well into my fifth repeat of the chart, and as it turns out, it's a relatively quick, relatively easy knit, and is doing the job of easing me into full relaxation mode... slowly.

Baby steps.

For now, back to the hammock, to concentrate on keeping my worries at bay.

3 comments:

Iron Needles said...

Envious! (1000)

Did a similar thing with the last pair of socks I knitted. Chart was different than the written pattern...d-oh! Figured it out after frogging 3 times.

DrChopSuey said...

Eh... yeah the reading the pattern thing sometimes gets me as well. Silly huh? But on the upshot, you've figured it out and you have some amazing photographs! :)

Amanda said...

Its an art to learn to relax but practice makes perfect ;)