22 October 2011

Actual Crafty Content Coming Soon...


I promise. In fact, I finished a project tonight.

I must say, I feel terribly guilty for my continued absence from posting. Who knew this thing would end up having such an impact on me?

But the honest truth is, I've been cheating on you, blog. I've been seeing another website... Pinterest has stolen my free time away from you, and knitting, and pretty much everything but history. I am sorry.

But I have remedied my ways. I return, the prodigal daughter with renewed inspiration and stories to tell.

Fall has of course brought the usual Octoberfest events for this Oompah playing French Hornist/Trumpeter, as you may have noticed from the photo of Franziskaner and my trumpet from last post.



The beer has flowed freely through a number of gigs (never too much to interfere with playing though!), the most exciting of which you can see above. We got to play a hockey game! BUT that's not what I'm here to talk about. I'm here to talk about the grand purging of belongings.

The past few weeks in addition to my cheating with Pinterest, I have been cleaning, and organizing, and throwing out/donating pretty much everything in my room. I was gifted what amounts to a small library of history books from a friend/mentor recently, and as I lugged box after box of books into my teeny tiny bedroom it quickly became clear... I have too much stuff. Considering I am still living in my childhood bedroom due to financial necessity, I simply have too much stuff.

So, in order to fit the books, which professionally are a huge huge help, things had to go, and they had to go fast. The cleaning began with a frantic determination that really bordered on panic... I imagine the episodes of Hoarders I have been watching with my boyfriend lately probably didn't help that, but anyway...


This photo was snapped as I was in the middle of the most frantic of the purging. Don't ask me why I keep an empty bottle of Jack on my dresser (I won't tell you), but as I was cleaning and dusting it ended up on my bed and Genghis curled right up with it. He must have had a hard day what with the napping, and the eating, and the throwing up on my carpet. Must be a hard life.

Freaking cats.


But maybe, he's just upset. Maybe all the cleaning and the trashing of things in what I'm sure he considers his room may have disturbed him.

Because clean and trash I did. Good lord. And several weeks in, I'm still not even close to done.

So far there have been five industrial sized garbage bags of clothes taken to the salvation army. I bit the bullet and finally got rid of all the size twos I had hanging around since high school with the hope I'd once more fit into them. The reality is, I'm not a large woman but my bone structure, even if I lose the 20 pounds I need to, will never ever let me into a size two again. I have hips. I have hips and I intend to love them.

Additionally, my newly discovered obsession with Pinterest has sparked the fashionista in me. So I was ruthless in ditching things I know I will never ever ever wear, regardless of where they came from or who gave them to me. Some things are simply not my style and it's about time I accepted that and made some room for stuff that is.



The cleaning process combined with Pinterest has also sparked interest in belongings that have long been lost in the clutter, such as nail polish. In fact I've added to my collection quite a bit since I rediscovered it, and I plan to feature it occasionally on here in the future, so heads up. (The above color is China Glaze "Dorothy Who?" for the curious.)

In general, the purging has been great for me, and for my inspiration to actually finish projects. I've rediscovered my sewing machine, and intend to begin doing that again, actually sewing garments this time. I've also rediscovered jewelry making, although now that a Charming Charlie's has opened in the area, I'm not sure how much you'll actually see of that.

On the docket for next post is actually a Pinterest inspired DIY that I finished tonight after purging the bag of makeup seen below. So stay tuned. I'll be back.


-l.c.

(P.S. my Pinterest username is Turandot23 if anyone is on there! =D)

No comments: