29 October 2011

Pumpkins and... Snow?


So the boyfriend and I have been talking about going to a pumpkin patch, picking out pumpkins, and doing the whole corn maze/hay ride thing for a while. I haven't been to a pumpkin patch since I was at least 8, and he finds this absolutely deplorable. Scandalous even. But as far as I'm concerned, I'm not too upset about it. I don't even remember if I LIKE pumpkin patches or not. Not to mention, the whole hay ride thing is usually combined with the word "Haunted" in these parts, and I'm not so sure how I feel about that.


So I wasn't all that brokenhearted when we, late Friday night, FINALLY got a few hours where we were both free. No classes, no rehearsals, no work, just free for the first time in weeks. Unfortunately that free time didn't start until about 7:30 at night. Not exactly prime pumpkin patch visiting hours. So we just phoned it in, ran to the local grocery store, and nabbed ourselves some $5 pumpkins.


We even cheated a little bit with the carving itself, using pre-made stencils instead of designing our own. I went with the ever adorable Hello Kitty in a witch costume, and he went with the sheriff from Squidbillies - a show on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim that he thinks is absolutely hilarious. I have yet to see it.

So with the puppers primed at our feet to make sure she doesn't miss out on a thorough sniff inspection of any accidentally dropped pumpkin chunks, we set to work.


We were lucky to find some old Pumpkin Masters carving knives in a drawer in my house, because let me tell you, without them? These stencils would have been IMPOSSIBLE. All the little lines and whiskers and shit were just a huge PITA.


After all the cursing and swearing, however, we both agreed the effort was worth it. They look great all lit up, and the little kids who come trick-or-treating will love the Hello Kitty one. Well, the girls will at least.

So we set them on my stoop, all lit up, and admired our work for a few minutes. How great they'll look on Halloween! We took a few pictures, and then the boy went home and we both retired for the night.


But then, I woke up to find the animals in a state of combined depression and confusion. The puppy was moping. The tabby was watching the events outside with worry and consternation.


Because what was happening? Snow. In October. Not unheard of, but certainly early. And before today was over, the pumpkins were covered. All our hard work, just totally encased in that fluffy whiteness that's not supposed to show up for a few weeks yet.


Well, at least they'll stay fresh...

-l.c.

3 comments:

adrienne said...

LOVE the Hello Kitty pumpkin!!! We did a Hello Kitty face last year (complete with red bow), but didn't have a single trick-or-treater. We're not even bothering with a pumpkin this year....

Amanda said...

Love the pumpkins!

Timiae said...

Love your pumpkins! They look great. And, snow!!! We are still waiting for our first snow here (something I'm very excited over since growing up in Georgia means I haven't seen much snow before)!