07 January 2012

Kristos Razdayetsya! (Christmas Ukranian Style)


As you may or may not know, I was raised Russian Orthodox, and so our family gets not one, but TWO Christmases! While the Orthodox church itself shifted from the traditional Jan. 7th to the more common Dec. 25th a long time ago, my dad's side of the family still maintains tradition. We get together to celebrate and exchange gifts in the evening on the 25th, but come the 6th and the 7th, we get together again. This time for the traditional Holy Night and Christmas Day dinners.


From a more practical point of view, traditional Russian Christmas presents an elegant solution to figuring out family stuff and scheduling amongst the two sides for the 24th and 25th, since my Mom's side does the whole Holy Night, Christmas Day Feast shebang as well. Only they're Ukranian Catholic, not Russian Orthodox, so the 6th/7th tradition is long gone on that side. With Russian Christmas, we get to spend a full Christmas with both sides, every year!


So please excuse this slight break in the baking chronicles to share some of my favorite photos from the last two days. My grandmother really has a knack for decorating, and some of the most adorable/beautiful Russian and Ukrainian style things that I felt went with the holiday perfectly.


The two of us (and my Aunt) very much share a love for Matryoshki. So much so that I made them both one for Christmas a few years back. And her little Ukrainian Dancing Girl doll used to fascinate me so much as a child, that I now have my own!


She's got some of the prettiest Matryoshki I've ever seen.


Oh, and did I mention she makes the best piroghi in the world? Because she does. Best. Ever.

So I hope everyone who still celebrates had a great Russian Christmas, and for everyone who doesn't, I still hope you had great days.

And now, back to the baking.

-l.c.

5 comments:

adrienne said...

Looks lovely!
My family has a very small Christmas dinner on the 7th. Perogies, and lots of them. A co-worker who also celebrates brought me some kutia. Delicious.

Amanda said...

Great photos. It sure looks as if you have a lovely time - twice!

lara griffiths said...

So talented....

i love that you get two Christmases and so wonderful to have the family tradition....

it is 6:00am and i wand a piroghi...

DrChopSuey said...

Happy kristos razdayetsya!!

petrina said...

Its great you get to have two Christmases! I love viewing all the different traditions out there :)