25 February 2012

Easter's A-Comin'

I completely lost track of time. Lent totally snuck up on me. In fact, if it wasn't for the 105 students coming through my classes on Wednesday with ashes on their foreheads (our uni is heavily Catholic), I would have had no idea that Catholic lent had started, or that "my" lent (Russian Orthodox) was even near... until my grandmother asked me what I gave up probably two weeks in, that is.

Whoops.

BUT, now that I'm back in reality, and realizing that well, Easter is a'comin, I've got pysanky on the brain. For those who don't know, pysanky (singular = pysanka) are Ukrainian Easter eggs, and they're decorated using a wax-resist method similar to batik.

Basically you go from this...


To this...


To a finished egg! (This is an egg of mine from a few years ago.)


I did a short, visual, kind-of-sort-of "how to" on here a few years back when my mother and I first got back into the tradition after a long break.

Well, we didn't get to make any last year... my first year teaching was just WAY too crazy. But this year, I have plans, and have already been looking for inspiration. And of course, as usual when I'm looking for inspiration, Pinterest was the first place I turned to.

I was a little shocked at how few actual pysanky I found there. It seems to me that they would be the kind of thing that the Pinterest Community would eat up. But I did find some gems among the regular food-color methods, particularly non-traditional designs, which I have a particular soft spot for.

Source: flickr.com via Maggie on Pinterest



Like this one, from pysanky artist So Jeo which is inspired by Japanese chiyogami paper and has gold leaf details. Stunning, and combines my interest in Japanese culture/designs with my own tradition!

Source: etsy.com via Maggie on Pinterest



Or these, which are actually decoupaged wooden eggs from etsy seller CatnipStudioToo. Great inspiration for single-color eggs.

Source: etsy.com via Maggie on Pinterest



Or how about this stunner which I sadly cannot find a source for. The pin traces back to etsy, but the item does not seem to exist any longer. I love the Tiffany-style stained glass look. It looks like they may have even gone over the black lines with black beeswax after the whole thing was done and before it was varnished in order to get that raised stained glass texture.

Source: flickr.com via Maggie on Pinterest



Here's another Japanese inspired design, this time from LadyTetsu on Flickr. I will definitely be experimenting to try to get those kinds of pinks and purples this year.



And then there are these super adorable watercolor eggs by blogger Alisa Burke, whose blog I immediately added to my RRS reader. Some truly beautiful stuff, and great ideas there.

I'm pretty excited to start planning and get started on these this year. I'll be ordering my dyes as soon as I get my next paycheck, and I'll be continuing to catalog inspiration over at Pinterest.

I can't wait to get started!

-l.c.

1 comment:

Timiae said...

Pysnaky! I was hoping that you'd do them this year... I find it so beautiful and intriguing. Can't wait to see what you come up with this year.